In the forest (Greensong and Stillwater)

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: In the forest (Greensong and Stillwater)

Post by Waterfall on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:21 am

"We've probably been here for a shorter time than you, we just arrived today." Stillwater turned to the others. "Have you seen anywhere better to den?"
"No," Stonehand shook his head, rooting in his pack for something he could use to repair his worn cloak. "This is as good a place as any, go ahead." He smiled at Greensong. "It'll be pleasant to watch a treeshaper at work again."
Hearteyes agreed, and Stillwater bounced to her feet, eager to see if she could learn anything from this new magic.
"Do whatever you want," she told the other elf.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:33 pm

"Not for so many as there are us. This place is perhaps the most suitable", Greensong answered. She walked around and touched all the large trees, one by one. She was not asking them permission, as trees would not grasp the concept, but she was getting tuned to the inner song that a treeshaper could sense in living plants. "yes, this will do nicely. Does each of you want their own den or will some of you share?" She asked.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:45 pm

"Do whatever you think best, dear," Hearteyes told her. Stillwater nodded in agreement.
"Don't worry about grandma, we have a lot of practice getting her up into trees even though she can't see anything."
The elder elf smacked her arm gently.
"Respect, cub."
"Ow," Stillwater laughed, before moving over to Greensong and placing her hand on the same tree as she was touching. She closed her eyes and concentrated on her own magic, and soon she could faintly feel the water pulsing through the trunk and up into its branches, spreading out in a canopy above them.
"What does it feel like to you?" she asked the other elf.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Greensong grinned. She climbed higher into the branches, and started shaping dens there, ones that would not be seen from the ground unless one was specifically looking for them. Just to be sure, she shaped four dens in all, and made one of them closer to the ground and surrounded by many strong branches. This one, she hoped, would be safer for Heartseyes. Greensong had never met a blind elf before. She wondered what it would be like to never see anything. She felt sorry for the elder, yet saw that Heartseyes did not seem to feel sorry for herself.

As Greensong descended to the ground again, she finally answered Stillwater's question. "I'm not sure how to describe it. It is a bit like sculpting something from clay, but the clay is alive and sings to me. The wood tells me the shapes it would like to take, and I bend them softly, making it fit my design. I do not command the tree, I coax it to grow. All plants like to grow."

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Stillwater could feel the difference in the water's flow as Greensong shaped the tree, but even though she could see the tree changing she couldn't really feel it. She envied how simple Greensong's treeshaping looked, although she realised that it was the result of practice and hard work.
"Perhaps it's different with plants," she wondered. "When I try shaping water it always tries to escape, to flow back where it came from. It's difficult to keep water in any kind of shape." She coaxed some droplets out of the tree trunk, and held them in the air for a few seconds before letting them fall to the ground. "It just... resists."

She shook her head and looked at the dens. "Perhaps I just need to sleep on it." While Stonehand helped her grandmother up into the lower den, thanking Greensong for the effort, she went to gather up their packs and cloaks. Nearby the wolves appeared to have come to an agreement with their newest member, and had all settled down for the night. River lifted her head to look as Stillwater came by, but stayed lying where she was.
*Good night, lazybones,* she sent before going back to the tree.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Greensong bit her lip, thoughtfully. "I wish I could help you, but watershaping is as strange to me as treeshaping is to you. I can't imagine it, shaping something that isn't alive. How does one talk to it? How does one listen?" She murmured, half to herself. "Well, time to rest. Sleep well, my new friends." She said, and climbed into one of the new dens. The scent of the wood, fresh from being shaped, was strong there, and made her feel safe. She was not sure if sleep would come, but it did, and her dreams were good ones.

Shadowwalker lay down close to the other wolves, making sure not to get too close. He hoped the pack would accept him, in time.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:27 pm

As her diminished, yet growing, tribe settled down to sleep around her, Stillwater snuggled down in her new den. For the first time since the flood she felt truly safe, and soon she was fast asleep. In her dreams, she thought she could hear the water in the tree, singing to her and whispering secrets.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:59 pm

--

The next evening, Greensong woke early, feeling well rested. It took her a moment to remember the events of the previous day, so different from what her life had been after she left her tribe. She was not on her own anymore, she was with other elves. She stretched her arms and legs, and looked out from the newly shaped den. The sun was setting, the sky full of wonderful colors. The weather seemed good, not too cold, not too windy, and no sign of rain that she could spot. That last observation made her wonder if Stillwater could sense when a rain was coming. She decided she would ask as soon as the maiden woke.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Stillwater woke up in the snug warmth of the den, and spent a few moments just lying there before deciding that she probably had to get up. She re-braided her hair and poked her head out of the den. Down below the wolves were awake, still a bit wary of each other but more relaxed now.
**Good morning, love** she sent to River, who looked up at her and wagged her tail. With a grin she swung out of the den and made her way down towards the ground.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:51 pm

Greensong pulled on her boots - she did not like to sleep with them on her feet - and got out from the temporary den. She saw Stillwater was awake also. "Hey there", she said, as she descended to the ground. "From what I can see it is going to be a lovely night for travelling", she stated. "By the way... since you have the water magic, can you sense when rain is coming?" She asked, genuinely curious.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:47 pm

"Hi." Stillwater smiled at Greensong. "Thank you for shaping the dens, I haven't slept that well for a long time." She looked up, scenting the fresh, crisp air. "It's a nice night, and if we're lucky it'll stay that way. I won't be much help until the rain is so close that we can smell it, I'm afraid," she answered with an annoyed frown. "I'm not good enough to sense water until it's nearby - and when I do it's difficult not to sense it all the time!" She waved her hands in frustration, glaring briefly at the sky before looking back at Greensong with an embarrassed expression. "So if it starts raining and I get really annoyed and grumpy, that's why. I'll just apologise in advance, I think."

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:58 pm

"You're most welcome", Greensong replied, smiling. "Are the others still sleeping?" She then asked. She was very slightly dissappointed to hear Stillwater could not sense rain. "Maybe you will learn. I forgot to ask you yesterday - how old are you?" As she stood on the ground, Greensong leaned slightly against the tree she had just climbed down."Don't worry about being grumpy. Grumpy company is better than no company at all." She then told her new friend.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Stillwater looked up at the dens, wondering if she should check on them when Stonehand appeared.
"I think they're awake," she answered Greensong with a teasing smile. "I hope I'll learn, I can try feeling for water when we travel."
The other question left her puzzled.
"How old I am?" She tilted her head, thinking it over. "Well, I'm the youngest one in our tribe, but I haven't been a cub for many white-cold seasons. Everyone still calls me that, though." She shrugged, resigned to her fate. "How old are you?" she asked in return.

As the two elves were talking Stonehand had helped Hearteyes out of the den and down to the ground, and they were packing up their few belongings.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Greensong smiled warmly. "Then we have much in common. I was the youngest, also." She said. "Just eighteen turns, in fact." She turned to face all three of them. "I have a couple small tasks to do before we can leave. I have to unshape these dens, and the one a bit farther off, where I spent the previous nights. I don't want to give the humans any new stories about spirit dwellings." She explained. She went back to the trees and began undoing the work she had done there. She did not have the skill to make a plant do the opposite of growing, nor did she think she wanted to do such a thing. It would go against the nature of plants. So instead of shrinking the wood back, she changed its shapes, so that what had been den walls turned into new sturdy branches and a thickening in the canopy of leaves.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:19 am

As Greensong unshaped the dens the three others finished packing and cleaning up the campsite. When they were done Stillwater moved back to the other elf, admiring her work.
"That's a good idea, disguising the dens. Humans are nosy enough as it is, there's no reason to give them more excuses!" She shuddered, remembering towering brutes that blundered through the forest as if they claimed it for their own.
"The others say we can stop by your other den on the way - it's not as if we're really in a hurry."

She looked up at the trees, which were almost completely transformed now. A thought struck her, and she smiled mischievously.
"You know, your age means that I'm not the youngest any more... cub."

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Greensong nodded as she finished her shaping. She resisted the temptation to show her tongue to Stillwater, as that would be very cublike behavior... and she did not wish to be seen as a cub. She had been treated like that in her old tribe, but perhaps now, if she remembered to act grown-up and sensible, she'd be treated as such also. Besides, she was two turns of the seasons older now, that had to count for something, surely?

"All I own is with me. I am ready to leave." She told the others, and gestured with her hand. "My old den is this way."

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:19 pm

Stillwater was a little surprised that Greensong didn't respond to her teasing, and wondered if the other elf thought she meant it seriously and not as a joke. After a moment she simply decided that her friend was more serious than her, and left it at that.
"So where is your tribe, anyway?" she asked as they walked over to the wolves, where they were greeted happily by the pack. "Is it far from here?" She hugged River and swung onto her back, and they started walking in the direction Greensong had showed them.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Greensong mounted Shadowwalker and they headed down a familiar path, to where she had denned. The den was right next to where Stillwater had first found her. It was on ground level, shaped from an already existing hole in a partially hollow old oak. As they arrived, she dismounted.

Greensong checked inside the den, just to make sure she hadn't left anything behind. There was nothing there, so she stepped out again, and began another work of shaping. To thank the oak for sheltering her, she strenghtened its roots and branches, so that new wood grew where the hollow hole had been. This oak would weather many more storms now, she was sure of it. One last touch to the new bark, and her work was done. "I am ready. Show the way to this call of yours!" She declared.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:11 pm

Once again Stillwater stared at Greensong's treeshaping, fascinated by the changes she could see in the tree - as well as the changes she could feel in the flow of water through it. When Greensong finished and spoke, Stillwater was startled out of her study and almost fell over in surprise before she caught herself on River.
"Grandmother knows the way best," she explained to Greensong as Hearteyes raised her arm and pointed into the forest. "She doesn't get confused by her eyes the way we do."

They set off again, and after a while she said,
"I wonder why anyone would cry out like that. It sounded like something bad was happening... sometimes I think that whenever we get there we'll be too late to help anyone, or to do anything at all. What do you think?"

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Greensong was a little surprised at first to learn that Hearteyes knew the way best. But when Stillwater explained why, it did make sense. "Lead on, then", she suggested to the elder.

"What was it like? The cry? Can you send me your memory of it?" She asked, trying to make some sense from what she'd heard so far.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:33 pm

"I... I'll try," Stillwater said, casting her memory back to that time when the three elves and their wolf pack, newly separated from the rest of the tribe, were still searching desperately for a way back over the river. Cold and hungry, the call had shaken them all, and Stillwater sent the memory of it; a call filled with fear and despair, a wordless plea for help. When it ended it brought a sense of loss to take its place, although she still didn't know what it was she had lost. Nothing less could have led the three elves to abandon their search for their tribesmates.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharp leaf on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Sharp stone watched as the elves moved below her vantage point in the trees...they hadn't seen or scented her yet lucky her. But why were they Here not like this was her territory she herself was just passing through

Sharp leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:07 pm

Greensong studied the memories Stillwater shared with her. After a few moments of silence, she spoke: "It is strange, indeed. Like nothing I've ever heard about. I can understand why you might want to follow such a call. But there might be danger ahead, some terrible enemy, the one that makes someone call for help. How are you prepared for battle?" She asked her new friend.

Greensong was occupied with her conversation, and failed to notice that Shadowwalker was sniffing around, trying to puzzle out a new scent.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:42 pm

The mention of battle surprised Stillwater, and she looked at Greensong.
"We haven't really talked about it much... we just knew we had to go help. I suppose having lost the rest of our tribe made it even more important - and of course we're hoping that our tribemates are doing the same and that we'll find them there." She let her hand run through the fur on River's head, reassuring herself that her friend was there even though her mother was far away. River fidgeted a little, but Stillwater didn't pay much attention to it.
"When we get there... we'll go quietly and be on guard. We have our noses, our wolf-friends and our weapons - if an enemy spots us we can defend ourselves."

River was still restless, and she dismounted, thinking that the wolf might want to run more freely. She returned to the conversation, thinking of Greensong's magic. Now that the possibility of fighting had been mentioned, she needed to be as prepared as possible. "Do you have any suggestions?"

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharp leaf on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:54 pm

Sharp stone went to lean slightly more on the branch before hearing it groan . She gasped hands trying to flail out. The branch snapped sending her plummeting down. It was only ten feet up but.

She let out a pain grunt as she slammed into the ground . She hissed slightly rubbing at her head. . She glanced up as she felt something wet trickle down her temple..her hand touched it ...huh she must of nicked her head on a branch .

Sharp leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum