In the forest (Greensong and Stillwater)

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: In the forest (Greensong and Stillwater)

Post by Leanan on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Greensong and Shadowwalker howled together and attacked the bush, making as much noise as possible. The ravvit, of course, was startled and hopped out of the bush right towards Stillwater. Greensong watched, happy that the plan seemed to be working. It had been a while since she'd eaten ravvit. She could feel her mouth watering already.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:02 pm

The ravvit came bursting out of the bush, and with a pounce they were on it. River pinned the squirming animal under her paws, while Stillwater grabbed its long ears and slit its throat.
"Aayooaah!" Triumphant, she held it up, grinning at Greensong. "We have dinner!"
She got off River and gave her a cuddle, while the wolf started licking the still-warm blood off her hand.
"Why don't you go find some dinner of your own?" She looked over at the other pair. "Maybe you could bring your new friend?"

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Greensong howled again, this time with joy. "Good kill!" She told Stillwater. Shadowwalker was visibly drooling at the sight of the carcass. "Go find your own ravvit, greedy!" She told him playfully. Shadowwalker seemed to understand. He looked over at River, then walked into the forest. Greensong got closer to Stillwater. "Alright, do we eat this by ourselves, or take it to the others?" She asked, gesturing at the ravvit.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Stillwater looked at the ravvit before pretending to sigh mournfully.
"It looks delicious... but we should probably take it with us. Hopefully Stonehand has found something as well, so we won't have to share."
Thinking, she looked at Greensong.
"Maybe you can find something to eat on the way? I'm not very familiar with this area, but I'm guessing that there will at least be some nuts somewhere. Can you sense edible plants? I can sometimes tell when there's fish in the water, does that even work with plantshaping?"
She stopped the torrent of questions with a small laugh.
"I'm sorry, I've just never met another shaper before. It's very exciting!"

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:04 pm

Greensong felt a small pang of regret. The meat looked really tasty. But she knew sharing with others was the right thing to do. "I'm sure I can find something. I've lived here a while, I know where the best things grow." As to the other question, she thought about her response and how to put it in words. "When I touch a tree, I can tell if its brances are bearing fruit or nuts. But I have to touch it, I won't sense them from farther off. Also, edible roots and leaves feel no different to me than inedible ones. I'm not sure, but I think it depends on whether the plant wants them to be eaten. I mean, plants grow fruit and nuts so animals will eat them and spread the seed. But plants don't want - as much as it can be said that plants want things - their roots or leaves eaten. Does that make any sense?" She finally asked, knowing her explanation might sound weird to anyone not a treeshaper.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:20 pm

"That does make sense," Stillwater replied, thinking it over. "I suppose water and plants are too different to act the same way." She paused, looking intently at the nearest tree. "I didn't think plants could actually want anything though, that's a little strange. Oh well," she shrugged. "Even if they do I still would like some more food."

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:30 pm

Greensong smiled. "I am sure that the ravvit did not especially wish to be eaten, either", she pointed out. "But let's get going. I know a place where there should be some capnuts. She led the way through the forest, to a small hill where stood a large tree. As she had said, there were capnuts on the ground as well as in the branches. "The ones on the ground are the ripe ones, they're the tastiest. But don't pick any that have black dots on their shell. Those ones have mold, they're not good for you." She instructed.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:21 pm

Stillwater stooped down and started gathering nuts, examining each one to make sure it was all right.
"I'm so glad I met you, and not just because you're helping me get food," she joked, smiling over at Greensong while she stuffed nuts into the pouch at her belt.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Greensong took a little leather bag from her belt and gathered nuts from the ground. She hummed softly while working. Stillwater's words made her smile again. "I'm glad I met you, too. Maybe the High Ones led us to each other", she replied. She had been raised to thank the High Ones for all the good things in life.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:41 pm

"Maybe," Stillwater replied after having thought about it for a little while. "Although I don't think they'd really care, do you? Enough to make sure we met, I mean." She looked up through the leaves, trying to see the stars. "Why would they allow bad things to happen, if they could help us instead? Sometimes I wonder if they haven't all just left us."

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Greensong paused gathering the nuts. Stillwater's words had startled her. "I don't know... I've never really thought about it, to be honest. It's just what everyone says. They swear by the High Ones, give thanks, but who has ever seen a High One? It is said that they make Recognition happen. But no one can really explain. It is just what I was taught. And it does seem to be that they do not always protect us. " She sighed. "They did not help my sire. Perhaps you are right."

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:25 am

Stillwater shrugged, feeling embarrassed. "I've thought about it a lot, actually... It's a bad habit I have, thinking too much. I don't know what I believe, but it seems a likely an explanation as anything else." She straightened up and smiled wryly at Greensong. "If they did lead us to each other, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this time."
There was a rustling in the brush, and River came bounding out looking satisfied.
"Found food, did you?" Stillwater asked the wolf, grabbing her ear and letting it move through her fingers as River moved past.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:13 pm

Greensong turned as Shadowwalker also arrived, close on River's heels. "These two seem to be getting along fine. I am glad of that. Do the others in your group have their wolf friends with them, also?" She asked Stillwater.

Shadowwalker licked around his mouth, and Greensong could smell fresh blood in his breath. Her friend had fed, and as usual, had not brought her anything. Their relationship was that of equals, and both provided from themselves, usually. Only when Greensong was ill, River hunted for her - and vice versa.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:56 pm

"Well... my grandmother does. Stonehand's wolf was left behind when the river took us, and some of the other wolves from the pack are also with us as well." Stillwater looked down at River, then over at Shadowwalker. "If Shadowwalker's usually this easygoing it shouldn't be a problem I think."
Smiling, she swung herself onto her wolf-friend's back.
"I can't wait to show them what I've found though!"

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Greensong mounted Shadowwalker. "I'm not sure how he will react. He usually gets along with females, but we've never encountered a whole pack before - and certainly not one bonded to elves. I can't promise that Shadowwalker will behave himself... but I will try my best to make sure he causes no trouble." Greensong answered honestly, while scratching Shadowwalker between his ears.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:30 pm

As River started moving, Stillwater turned to look at Greensong.
"We'll just have to jump that ditch when we get to it, I suppose."
The wolf started trotting, and soon they were moving though the forest at a fairly fast pace. As they went, Stillwater closed her eyes and tilted her head towards the sky, feeling the cold air on her face. For the first time since they had been washed away with the water, she felt something like hope.
Maybe Greensong is right? she wondered. Maybe the High Ones really are watching over us?

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Shadowwalker quickened his pace, keeping close to River. Greensong kept her senses open and breathed deep the night air. She would have to become nocturnal again, now that she was with other wolfriders. She would miss the sunlight, which would be just stolen moments again. But it was good to be with others. Good to speak with voices. To be part of something bigger.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:08 pm

A while later they approached the camp, and Stillwater and River both could smell the familiar scent of family and tribe.
*I'm back!* she sent to them both. *And I'm not alone - I met another wolfrider!*
*A stranger?* Hearteyes asked, intrigued. Stonehand's sending was more surprised.
*I thought I smelled something strange. A wolf, too?*
Stillwater smiled, looking over at Greensong.
*Yes, and they're both very nice.*
"We're here," she told the other elf as the small camp came into view. The four wolves came forward to greet them, and Stillwater dismounted River so she could join them. They kept a cautious distance from Shadowwalker and Greensong, and she hoped River could help the introduction go smoother.

"This is Hearteyes, my grandmother, and Stonehand." She gestured at the two elves. Hearteyes turned her face towards them and smiled.
"Be welcome, stranger! We're very pleased to meet another traveller."

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Greensong dismounted. Shadowwalker looked at the other wolves, hesitating, not sure if he was welcome here. Greensong put a calming hand on his back. But she was herself a bit nervous too. **Um... hello. My name is Greensong. I have been on my own for some while. I am glad to meet you all. ** She sent, smiling, but with some wariness lurking in the depths of her green eyes. **This is my bond. His name is Shadowwalker.** She added.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:22 am

Stillwater watched her family greet the newcomer with kindness, and the wolves as they cautiously got to know each other. It was strange, the mixture of sadness and excitement that filled her when she thought about her tribe, her new friend, and what they would find when they got to the source of the cry.

As Hearteyes talked to Greensong, Stillwater waved their rabbit at Stonehand.
"We found some food on the way."
He grinned at her, before pointing his thumb at the ground nearby.
"So did we."
Stillwater spotted two birds, and grinned back.
"Well done, old man." She turned to Greensong. "Are you hungry?"

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:52 pm

Greensong told the basics of her past to Hearteyes and the others. As she spoke she eyed them warily, but their expressions soon told her they had no ill will towards her. She felt herself relaxing in their company. "It is good to be with others again", she said, smiling.

"Of course I am!" She replied to Stillwater's question. "Let's eat!"

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:47 pm

Finally they could all sit down to eat, sharing their catches between them. Stillwater made sure to sit next to Greensong, although the newcomer had already begun to relax in the company of the other elves.
"The sun is coming up," she remarked between mouthfuls. "I don't think we're far from where we heard the cry, maybe we'll find it when we travel on tomorrow?" She paused, looking at Greensong. "Unless you don't want to leave just yet?"

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:32 pm

"I am ready to leave," Greensong replied. "This forest was never a home, just a place to rest." She was curious about this 'cry' even though she had not heard or sensed it herself. Perhaps it would lead to more elves, to life having a purpose again, more than just to exist.

She bit deep into the fresh meat, savoring the taste. It was something she had longed for a long time. The rabbit was still warm, and all the more delicious for being so.

"If you like, I can shape you all dens in the trees. Even though we are here only one night, a den is nicer to sleep in than the bare ground, don't you think?" She offered.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:52 pm

"That would be wonderful!" Stillwater burst out before the others could think it over. "I mean, sleeping on the ground is fine but I would love to see your magic! Um...if you don't mind."

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:01 pm

Greensong smiled. "I don't mind at all." She ate some more of the food, then stood up. "Is this a good place to set up the dens?" She asked, gesturing at the great trees that surrounded them. "Or do you know a better one?" She asked her new friends.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:33 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum