In the forest (Greensong and Stillwater)

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In the forest (Greensong and Stillwater)

Post by Waterfall on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:24 pm

In the dark of night three elves made their way southwards in the forest. Stillwater, riding her wolf-friend River, halted by a massive tree and looked ahead. She could see nothing except more forest and the tall mountains, beckoning them to move on. Sighing, she turned to look at her tribesmates.
"How are you, grandmother?"
Her grandmother Hearteyes, riding her own wolf, turned her head to look blindly in the direction of her grandcub's voice and answered tiredly.
"I'm fine, don't worry about me."
Stillwater exchanged a dubious look with the third of their party, Stonehand. He shrugged, catching the tatters of his cloak when the movement made its makeshift fastening come loose yet again.
"You may be, old friend, but I could certainly do with a rest. And some food, if we can find any. I say we send the cub to scout ahead for a while."
Hearteyes was easy to convince, and as the two of them settled down to rest Stillwater leaned down to stroke her friend.
*What do you say, love? Shall we go scouting?*
*Yes!* the wolf agreed, and the two of them cautiously set out into the forest on their own.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Re: In the forest (Greensong and Stillwater)

Post by Leanan on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Greensong was resting. She had grown up among nocturnal Wolfriders, but now that she was on her own, she found she preferred going around in daylight. She just loved the rays of the Daystar warming her skin, so much that her skin was tanned darker than any elf she'd ever seen.

Greensong had shaped a temporary den from the insides of an old, partially hollow oak tree. She would shape it back to a normal tree when she left, to leave no traces of her presence. The world was full of dangers for an elf and a wolf without a tribe.

Shadowwalker slept snuggled close to his elf-friend. Until some wolf sense told him they were not alone in this part of the forest. He whined to get Greensong's attention, and nuzzled her face all over to wake her.

Last edited by Leanan on Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:55 pm

After riding for a little while, Stillwater felt River tense under her, sniffing the air.
*What is it?* she asked, trying to catch the scents that drifted through the night air.
*Strange wolf! Strange wolf-friend!*
*Another elf? Not from the tribe?* She could feel her hands clench tighter around her friend's fur. *Maybe they've seen them!*
Oh, mother..! she thought, feeling the loneliness and fear press down on her again, before she shrugged it off with a scowl. Oh mother, I will find you!
*We go?*
*We go!*
They set off again, at a much faster pace than before. Now they had a goal!

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:07 pm

Greensong opened her eyes. She could tell from Shadowwalker's behavior that something had changed. *What is it, my friend?* She wolf-sent to him. *Elf. Wolf. Strangers. Coming closer.*, he replied, in simple thoughts as had always been his way.

Greensong had slept in her clothes, so all she had to do was pull her boots on. She decided she would try to see the newcomers before they saw her. So she got out from her den and climbed into the branches of the oak. From there she branch-walked to another tree with a denser canopy. The strangers would scent her, but perhaps not see her, at least not before she had a good look at them. She was not sure how she could tell if an elf was a danger or not. She seated herself on a wide branch and shaped it just a little flatter, so she'd have a better seat. Meanwhile, Shadowwalker found himself a hiding place in some bushes.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:36 pm

As the elf and the wolf came closer to the source of the scent Stillwater could also smell it, and the two of them slowed down.
They should be here somewhere, she decided, looking around in the dark but seeing nothing out of the ordinary. The scent was strong enough that it was impossible to pinpoint where it might be coming from, so she decided to take a chance. Tensing in anticipation, her hand coming to rest on her dagger, she tried an open sending.
*Hello? Is anyone here?*

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:07 pm

Greensong hesitated for a few heartbeats. She had never seen the elfess before. Greensong noted the stranger's hand went to her dagger. But she did not seem to be angry, just cautious, like Greensong herself was. Besides, evil elves only turned up in old stories, right?

In any case, if it came to a fight, they were evenly matched. She decided to take a risk.

Greensong climbed down a few branches, then jumped to the ground, to stand before the stranger and her wolf. Shadowwalker also emerged from his hiding spot in the bush. Greensong drew strenght from the presence of her wolf-friend. She looked into the stranger's eyes and smiled. "Hello. I am Greensong. This is Shadowwalker. Who are you?"

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:01 pm

There was a movement in the branches of a tree above, and with a jump a young elf girl landed lightly in front of her. Stillwater felt River tense underneath her as another wolf joined them from the shadows. As the strange elf smiled and greeted her, she relaxed, and felt her wolf relax as well.
"My name is Stillwater, and this is River."
She smiled back, dismounting so that the wolves could get to know each other.
"I'm a traveller, passing though the forest. Do you live here? Are you with a tribe?"
She brushed her hands down her trousers, trying to hold back her eager questions. Out of the corner of her eye she could see River approaching the other wolf, her tail wagging hopefully from side to side.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Greensong studied Stillwater and River curiously while she replied: "No, I am a traveller also. I have been without a tribe for two turns of the seasons. I don't think anyone lives in this forest, not even humans." She then asked: "Where are you headed?"

Meanwhile, Shadowwalked approached River, sniffing the air cautiously. He was curious, too, to meet one of his kind.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:14 pm

She felt disappointment settle over her like a heavy cloak.
"So... you haven't seen any other elves heading this way? Other wolfriders?"
Being alone, even with a wolf friend, sounded terrible to Stillwater, and she looked intently at Greensong.
"Weren't you lonely? I can never imagine being without my tribe." Pausing, she looking up towards the sky but saw only stars and branches, no mountain tops. She waved her hand vaguely in the direction of where she thought the mountains would be. "We're heading towards the mountains right now, following a cry we heard many nights ago. Did you hear it?"

Delighted, River crouched down, tail wagging harder. Perhaps Shadowwalker wanted to play?

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Greensong saw Stillwater's reaction and wondered about the reasons for her dissappointment. "I have not seen anyone in a long time", she replied. "I didn't even know there are wolfriders other than the ones I used to belong to". She smiled slightly. "There were times I was very lonely, and times when Shadowwalker and the trees and plants were more than enough company. I am a treeshaper, you see. But I am very glad to finally meet another elf." She paused, hesitated, then continued: "I have not heard any cry, but if you allow, we would like to come with you. I have been alone too long, and if someone needs help, we should help them."

Shadowwalker wagged his tail also. He began sniffing River all over, the way wolves do.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:26 pm

"You're a treeshaper?" Stillwater looked at her with interest. "Have you been one long? I'm a watershaper but it's still new to me... I can't really do much yet."
She smiled at the other elf, happy that she had found someone else who could shape things.
"Of course you can come with us! We have a camp not far from here, you can follow us back there now if you want to." She paused, thinking. "Although we should probably see if we can find some food on the way back, we don't have much left."

River gave a playful bounce before she started sniffing at Shadowwalker.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:35 pm

"I think as long as I can remember, I have felt the spirits of the trees, their life force. The mother who birthed me, Wildrose, was a treeshaper also, and little by little, she taught me as I grew up. I have never met a watershaper. What kind of things can you do?" She asked, in a genuinely interested voice. She was relieved to hear Stillwater didn't mind her coming along. "I'm not much of a hunter, but I can fish... and I gather what I can. And sometimes, with a bit of persuading, I make the trees bear fruit even out of season."

Meanwhile, Shadowwaker decided River was not a danger, and licked her face playfully. It was his standard greeting for elves, and those wolves that allowed it.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:46 pm

"That must be nice, to always have known," Stillwater said wistfully. "I found out last autumn, when it rained for days and days without end... I started sensing the water all around me and I couldn't make it stop - it almost drove me crazy!"
She shook her head, laughing.
"I can control it better now, but I still don't like the rain very much. And I can move water too, but not very well yet. The best I ever did was..."
She trailed off, remembering the nightmare trip down the river, stretching her magic to the limit and beyond that.
"There was a flash flood, and we were dragged away with the water. I managed to keep us together and afloat until we came ashore. I was tired for days after that."
Her expression grew fierce.
"Next time something happens, I'll be ready. I'll learn."

Sensing her mood, River gave Shadowwalker a lick in return before bounding back to Stillwater. Absent-mindedly, she stroked her wolf-friend's head.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Greensong listened to Stillwater's story. "I'm sure you will learn", she assured her. "And what you did for those others, saving them in the flood, was very heroic. Who were they?" She asked, knowing she had heard only part of the story.

Shadowwalker also returned to Greensong. He wagged his tail, excited to have made a new friend.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:47 pm

"They're my grandmother Hearteyes and another tribemate, Stonehand. We're travelling together, trying to find the rest of our tribe... the ones who weren't washed down the river. We thought they might have heard the cry too, that's why we're going there."
Stillwater looked down, rubbing River's ear between her fingers.
"My mother... I hope she's all right. I was hoping you might have met any of them."
With an effort, she shook of her mood and smiled at Greensong.
"Don't let Stronghand's stern expression fool you when you meet him, he's really very nice. Grandmother is blind, but can go anywhere as long as her wolf-friend is with her. They'll be pleased to meet another elf, but even more pleased if we bring some food as well. Maybe you can gather something on the way back? I'll see if I can catch something, too."
She paused, as something struck her.
"But where's your tribe? Why have you been alone for so long?"

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:49 pm

"I hope we find them. Your grandmother and everyone else", Greensong said. She felt sorry for Stillwater. The question about her tribe embarrassed her a little, and her cheeks were flushed when she explained: "I left them of my own will. Well, sort of. My father, Hawk, was captured by humans. I wanted to help getting him back, but my chief said I was too young and he would not endanger me. So he and the hunters went, but they failed. The humans won the fight and killed my father. I was angry, and I told the chief it was his fault that Hawk was dead. So we argued. But one can't really argue with a chief. When I would not back down, he asked if I was challenging him. I actually considered it, I was so furious. But I knew no good would come of it. So instead I just left. That was two turns of the seasons ago. I've gone it over in my head, wondered if I could have made some different choices, if there would have been any chance to save my father... it is almost driving me mad."

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:46 pm

"That's terrible!" Stillwater was horrified. "To think about that, all this time... It's always the bad thoughts that stay, isn't it? We want to live in the Now, but something is always too bad - too strong."
Looking away, she asked quietly, "Would you have made a difference, do you think?"

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:51 pm

Greensong nodded. She bit her lip, thought a bit, and finally answered: "I honestly don't know. My magic was strong, but I was still learning - I am still learning, all the time. Maybe a bit of shaping in the right place would have made the difference. Maybe I could have saved him. Then again, maybe not. What if I'd made a mistake? What if the humans caught me also? I'll never know. If I knew, one way or another, it might be an easier burden to bear." She sighed deeply.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:37 pm

"I think I understand that," Stillwater said pensively. "But... whatever you could or couldn't have done, you can't change what happened, can you? It's over and done with either way."

River, having waited impatiently for the elves to finish talking, could wait no more. Grabbing hold of Stillwater's sleeve with her teeth she gave a firm tug. Startled, Stillwater looked down at her wolf-friend.
"Are we taking too long?"
River whined and tugged again.
"You're right - grandmother must wonder where I've got to by now."
She looked at Greensong.
"What do you say? Should we get going?"

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Greensong knew Stillwater was right. She should just let go. It was the Way. Perhaps, now that she wasn't alone anymore, the Now would feel more real again.

When River tugged at Stillwater's sleeve, Greensong grinned. The wolf had the right priorities. "Let's go!" She said, eager to meet more elves. She mounted Shadowwalker and waited for Stillwater to lead the way.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:52 pm

The two elves set out through the forest, Stillwater leading the way back to the small camp. After a little while, she noticed movement in a bush up ahead.
*Hang on,* she sent, drawing her dagger. *I think there's food in that bush ahead. I lost my bow in the river and only have my dagger, will you help me catch it?*

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Greensong's head turned towards the sounds of movement. Her hand went to her dagger. *I will help... but I do not promise to succeed. Like I said, I am not much of a hunter.* She told Stillwater. Greensong felt nervous. During her solitude, she had mostly lived on plants, fish, mushrooms, and the occasional insect. She had tried hunting sometimes, but with little success, as she had had no one to teach her.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:48 pm

*If you sneak around the bush and startle it, I can get it when it comes out.* She licked her lips in anticipation. *It smells like ravvit.*

River shivered under her, but stayed still. She had learned from experience that rushing in meant no food, but that didn't mean she wasn't longing to pounce.
**Calmly, love** Stillwater sent to her, mind full of laughter.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:42 pm

*Good plan!* Greensong sent back. She and Shadowwalker slowly and cautiously circled to the other side of the bush. They took a position that Greensong judged would be best to startle the ravvit right towards Stillwater. Greensong looked back towards Stillwater, waiting for her to give some signal that she was ready.

Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Stillwater waited until she saw that the two was in position. She readied her dagger, and felt River tense underneath her.
*Go!* she sent, her excitement coming through the sending.

Waterfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum